Maximise the Government contribution
Maximise the annual Government contribution towards your KiwiSaver account
Financial markets have been good to investors for the past 12 years, but the impact of Covid-19 is now causing volatility in global markets, resulting in your KiwiSaver account balance going up and down recently. Mercer is here to help you with the latest updates and support for managing your KiwiSaver money during this time.
KiwiSaver is a long-term investment and maintaining this long-term focus will help you maximise the full benefits of KiwiSaver. If you are financially able to, one way to keep your KiwiSaver account growing is to contribute and you could still receive $521 from the Government towards your KiwiSaver account this year. The Government will contribute 50 cents for every dollar you contribute to your KiwiSaver account, up to a maximum of $521.43 every year and to be eligible you need to:
· Have contributed at least $1,042.86 to your KiwiSaver account during the year between 1 July and 30 June.
· Be mainly residing in New Zealand during the year, however there is an exception for Government employees who are serving outside New Zealand and any person working overseas as a volunteer or for a charitable organisation.
· Be aged between 18 and 64 years (you can be older than 64 if you’ve been in KiwiSaver for less than 5 years) unless you have opted out.
Generally, you should receive $521.43 from the Government if you’ve been a KiwiSaver member for the full year, earn over $35,000 per annum and contributed at least 3% or you’ve contributed more than $20 per week on average during the year. However, to see if you’re on track to receive $521.43 this year, sign in to your online account where under ‘Account Activity’ you can check how much you have contributed. If you have not contributed enough, be sure to top up your KiwiSaver account before 30 June 2020. If you have any questions about the Government contribution process or eligibility criteria, please call us on 0508 637 237 or email KiwiSaver@mercer.com.
Easy ways to top up your KiwiSaver account
1) Online banking: You can pay straight into your KiwiSaver account via your online banking by searching for ‘Mercer KiwiSaver scheme’ as a new payee and following your banks’ instructions. Please include your member number as the code and your IRD number as the reference.
2) Direct Debit: You can fill out this form to arrange direct debit payments into your Mercer KiwiSaver scheme account.
3) Cheque: Please fill out this form , attach your completed cheque and post to Mercer KiwiSaver Scheme, PO Box 1849, Wellington 6140. Please allow up to 7 working days for delivery and processing of the cheque.
In situations where you are a KiwiSaver member and a member of a complying superannuation fund, you will receive the Government contribution from the provider who first submits your member information to Inland Revenue.